Thursday, March 25, 2010

Skittlemania


This picture pretty much explains what I did on my 22nd birthday. Went to the beach with a friend and his dog. Please note that the sun is shining :)

But of course I was running late. And of course I decided on emptying the dust bin on my way out. In Denmark most dust bins look like this:


... and somehow the bag got stuck to the metal thingy and before I knew what I was doing the door was on my foot and not on the hinges.
But as I said, most dust bins in Denmark (and Sweden, and maybe other places as well) are placed under the kitchen sink. This is good to know when people invite you to stay for dinner and you want to throw away your gum. However, in the very few cases where people choose alternative places for their trash it always causes confusion and you have to walk around and look for the bin with your gum between your fingers and it gets sticky and you have to laugh akwardly when you finaly find the dust bin and strugle to get the gum off of your fingers. Sigh!

Another thing you should know about Denmark (and Sweden) is that you can't buy Skittles. Something about them being too artifical... And we all know that people want what they can't have :) So when I tell my friends that I bought Skittles in London they somehow transform themselves into drooling zombies with a haunted look in their eyes and tell me long love stories about how they know someone who knows someone who paid an indescribable amount of money on amazon to get their hands on a bag full of these little sugary wonders.

I'm flying to the USA in two weeks time and I have no doubt about how I will end up stuffing my suitcase with treats so unhealthy that you can't find them in a Danish supermarket. This will certainly impress my peers!

note: we DO have candy in Denmark, our government is just trying to protect us from things with too much artificial taste and color.

No comments:

Post a Comment